About My Art
My recent art plays with the confluence of energy patterns and ideas, and how they might emerge and move. I use a flow and dance of colours that correspond to whatever moves me within the confines of a few broad themes, trusting and directing whatever arises.
The themes, presented under the 'Series' menu heading are:
Transpose – or re framing, seeing form a different perspective; Seasons – a time for everything; Hidden - what we CAN see is often lurking in plain sight; Form / Formless - there is nothing to hold on to...yet all is possible; Portal - a sudden opening that shifts a view, offers an insight or some sort of 'aha' new direction to explore; The Gap - a dance between the empty and form, between space and object; Cosmic Rent Series - the sudden tear in the fabric of space or consciousness that allows a creative force to bleed through; Firmament - a chaotic swirl of potential.
Latest Work heading presents work completed within the last six to nine months.
I have always been interested in how things work, how they appear and why we see and experience things the way we do. This may be more from a poetic sense since music and art were influencing elements in my childhood home; yet, it does not exclude the scientific either: to me there is a fine permeable line between the two
There are a number of grounding perspectives that anchor the vision I have for my artistic work:
• Creation can be both a subtle and dramatic phenomenon; yet, it has a timeless and ongoing “Is-ness” to it. It just happens, now. It unfolds. This has an impact on the way I paint.
• Art has always served as a vanguard of civilization’s emerging consciousness. Knowing its history and current expressions is an expansive experience.
• The meaning we impute into what we experience depends on what we bring to it; our biology, our conditioning, our genetics, our history, our culture and our social structures all have an impact
• Seeing an object and labeling it, while very useful for communications and establishing social protocols, has a limiting and confining effect on experience. So I select my tiles carefully to question yet leave room for different views.
• It is the coming together of individuals, with curiosity and an eagerness to learn, that develops a group consciousness. This in turns engenders a sense of humanity filled with a wholesome potential that can free us from any useless confinements.
And so my art focuses on the confluence of energy patterns and ideas, and how they might emerge and move. I use a flow and dance of colors that correspond to whatever moves me within the confines of broad themes. I rely on my grounding principles, trusting and directing whatever arises
For the longer term, my intention is to explore and apply contemporary techniques and approaches in a manner that apply these and similar themes to reflect the temper of our times and day to day life.